Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WED

Quakedog
Super Contributor
Wake up people its Wednesday!!!! MONEY!!!
0 Kudos
45 REPLIES 45
gareth01
Regular Contributor
just no volumes.....boring Wed!!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
......and gold stocks are misbehaving.........
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
@sponono - think gold shares at current levels are good entry now?? Current trend looks downward, but at the same time oversold. Itching to hold a long position - Ang/Har or GLD?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
on a 12 months performance basis: GLD and then HAR. only worry is that $Gold is struggling to get back above its 200day SMA.
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Totally agree with you about $gold below 200MA...but suppose with the recession of Europe, gold will rebound, just need to be patient. I also prefer the GLD (just better gearing and less worries about production etc). Will put in an order for underlying price 12500..(although it appears support is around R124-50 levels)..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Even vil's rock solid support at 200 is being tested again.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
would still avoid gold though
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Thanks Spono for the advice....withdrew order, will just watch for the moment. You long on anything at present? I am long Vod, Arm and RLo
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I agree,Gareth.Gold shares look quite inviting.Har touched support today and is oversold.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
just the ALSI.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Gareth you trading derivitives on those long trades you mentioned? Big or small amounts? Curious as I lose the plot with derivitives and cannot stomach it!
0 Kudos
raps
Frequent Contributor
Every time I have tried to trade warrants I have lost money...SSF on the other hand. But I shall persevere...there is a warrant out there with my name on it : )
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
@Quakedog - Trade both CFDs and SSF....I use the CFDs are my shorter trades and SSF on the longer trades. Trading ARM (SSF 10 contracts at R168.25) Trading VOD (CFD 1000 at 87.20) Trading RLO (CFD 3000 at 61.12) - chasing the dividend (suppose n
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
No just straight shares for me, dont have the brass for the derivitives anymore. Straight shares on ABL,ADW,ARL,CLR,DTC,BCK,SOL,SPG,RLO,FSRP,FBR. Lost my nerve in 2008 when I seen R30 000 a day going out. Not good! So I try buy low and hold now days. Seems to be working.
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
I know that feeling of 2008....more specifically buying Kumba at R320 (after being at R375) and went long....eventually it went all the way down to R120's....sold out eventually with a BIG LOSS (knocked me hard). Needless, to say, I dont like Kio...and learnt what a stop loss was. My strategy with all those volitility at present, is "trade small amounts" over a few trades =-R50k (with same Cash cover) and tight stop loss, then take profits and add to my longer term/investment portfolio - seems to be working quite nicely... Longer term investments held - 10/15 years: Exx Bil Mpc Shf Abl Avi Vod Cfr
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Thank goodness, I did not buy gold shares....oouch, really getting hammered now!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
GLD: close below 123 would complete the double top. target would be 106?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Buy when others are fearful.Gold shares nicely oversold.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I don't think it's currently 'fearful' at all. Gold is currently quite a bit higher than platinum and that isn't a common situation. It's not like gold has a god-given right to be the only source of protection when currency values get erratic. The time to buy gold was when everyone else hated it - that was when everyone was 'fearful'. Look at a 5-year print of the gold price. If anything, a long call is trend-following, not Warren-Buffett-value-discovery when others are fearful.
0 Kudos