Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Warrants

k_
Occasional Contributor
New to the site, decided to join the warrants game quite late in life. How does one practically convert the warrants into shares. I have seen the Exercise price, but what on earth os the Exit/Entry Price? My ex-husband reckons that I can't make money with warrants because I will need to pay for the shares in full when I exercise?Is that true or what? I am confused because I have 2 accounts(1 for Shares, and for Warrants), how does this work exactly? P.S. When I make enough to buy a yatcht, and tell my ex to stuff it; I'll give the best advisor a cut:)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Victoria_1
Contributor
I wrote you such a nice detailed explanation, but alas it took longer than 15 minutes to describe in detail what to do and guess what....... Standard Bank wiped-out my whole message, so now I must re-type the whole thing, or leave it, sorry!
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
Type with your notepad or other word editor, then simply cut/copy and paste - Never to loose any intelectual effort again.
0 Kudos
nonnb
Occasional Contributor
OMO but few traders exercise the call / put option on a warrant (reasoning that if they had wanted the share, they would have bought / shorted the share in the first place). SimonPB might have some stats from SCMB w.r.t. number of traders who exercise? Due to time decay on vanilla warrants most folk hold onto warrants for short periods of time, and certainly not till expiry, even if in the money (i.e. secondary market stuff only) With vanillas, due to the way that BS works, it is generally not in your best interests to exercise the thing - selling the warrant back to the issuer (or better still, another trader) before the expiry date is generally worth more. But if you did exercise, yes, ex is right - could buy the share at the exercise price [if call], or you could sell your shares at the exercise price [if put] No of shares 'bought' [or sold, if you have a put] = No of warrants held / Cover Ratio OMO, but I would steer clear of 'vanillas' entirely. Share installments (if long), Ssfs (long & short) and even WAV's (long and short) give you leverage, and except for SSFs also cost fixed R50 in and out :) The "cost of money" on these instruments for the gearing isn't nearly as hairy as the time decay on vanillas (but obviously there are other risks, notably barriers for WAVs and theoretically unlimited risk with SSF's [but in practice you will be closed out if can't meet margin etc]) Crossing the bid / offer 'spread' on vanillas is also often quite awful - e.g. 25/26 = 4% - might be what ex is what referring to as 'entry' vs 'exit' cost?
0 Kudos