Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Website

peekay
Frequent Contributor
Well I am sitting overnight with my few TOPATB's, since the website let met down, AGAIN, missing my trade, but since it is not their loss, who cares. Hopefully the market won't be down by too much tomorrow morning.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cool, thanks.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Still fun working at that there bank Simon? Drinking under control?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Drinking always under control coz I have a simple rule. Never open a bottle until the first bottle is finished.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
Ah Brilliant, thanks OST! The site is up and running again, shew. ONLY FKCINGU PROBLEM IS THAT THE MARKET IS NOW CLOSED, COINCIDENCE? ITHINK NOT! Maybe its because ITY has gone home @ 16h30 and now the system can do its thing!
U know what, I'd expect the names of the staff that got fired for this to be made known here on the forum as where I've been people get the boot for much less.....
OST, perhaps given the fact that the site is down soooo much u guys are in any case not making any money so why not wave the next 6 months account fees, and trading charges and taking one on the chin? At least it will show some kind of goodwill!
out of interest u never seem to have an error to charge my ABSA account with the monthly R99, go figure.
As for aaaallllll the apologies etc., to be honest, its no longer carrying any weight really as its been used soooo often!
Look see - I would like to apologise for using capital letters knowing full well its like shouting and for my ranting! Please accept my apologies, thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
The JSE does not set service level standards for any of its members that provide online services. That is a contract between the member and its clients. However, I have spoken to Standard Bank. They tell me that they launched a new version of their system last week and that is what is giving them problems. They hope to fix it tonight. If not they will revert to the old version.
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
Email from JSE.
0 Kudos
Copper
Regular Contributor
i agree with j.cash- just another fat corporation not taking responsibility for its inaction. why o why , on the day evry1 could hav made sum dosh??! thanks to standard for being utterly revolting !!
0 Kudos
Stock11
Contributor
Am I the only one experiencing problems still even with the old system? I think I should also start experiencing problems with paying monthly fees... as soon as I figure out how to do that
0 Kudos
Not applicable
They could not answer severla of my questions and did no reply to two e-mails. I find the OST website a good one IF YOU CAN ENTER IT. And their costs are reasonable. And KURT PAGEL and RICHARD SEDDON are always available to listen although we often disagree.
0 Kudos
Cowgirl
Occasional Contributor
I had the same problem with ABSA not repling emails.I`ve send my details to Nedbank yesterday,so lets see if they gonna give me service.If not ill try Investec.Somebody in the forum said its good and dont have downtimes.I-Trade from Sanlam is not even on the horizon.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
CowGirl. It is mean't to be read backward only after placing your head between your legs.......
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Very simple answer - don't trade derivatives via this site. Right now, it's not reliable enough. It's fine for shares, but for SSF, warrants, waves, CFDs or anything with enough leverage to cause problems if the site is unavailable for a few hours you are better off looking elsewhere. I emptied my warrant account at the beginning of the year and have never looked back. I don't know anything about the architecture in place, but from a very cursory look at the urls I'm guessing it's a mess of ASP/.Net and java, and I wouldn't be surprised to discover that SFM are throwing huge amounts of hardware at the problem instead of getting their enterprise architecture sorted out. I agree with MBoy's comments earlier - there are serious questions to be asked about the development and release processes.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Tango were are you trading now.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Hi there John. Why have you being ignoring me?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
'cos you smell funny!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
ha ha... I alway knew too much gas is not good for me!
0 Kudos
Cowgirl
Occasional Contributor
Thanx Preston.....I can see clearly now;)
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
IdealCFDs for equity CFDs and the odd ALSI contracts. Uses IGIndex platform, but with local support and trades all in R. This site for underlying shares (rare trades - must be averaging less than 1 per month now). No more warrants or waves.
CFDs make a LOT more sense to trade than options in my opinion. They are traded at the price and spread of the underlying, so there are no market-maker issues. No spread issues - spread is at the spread of the underlying. Also, stoplosses, alerts etc are all based on the underlying. No more stops getting triggered when market-maker is out etc. No time-decay, but they do have a daily interest charge on open positions. No expiry. No more question of whether it's a 'good' or 'bad' warrant. Go short or long on any of the listed shares (about 160 shares on the JSE, way more than the number of shares that have warrants issued). Predicable gearing (either 4x or 10x). The only drawback is the higher trading fees, but just the removal of the spread issues that warrants have more than outweighs this. Free live charts. No platform availability issues. I could go on. Until now I've thought it rude to post about alternatives in SFM's forums, but the poor delivery in recent times makes me want to help where I can.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Do you get live streaming prices of all the shares with any kind of indicators.
0 Kudos