Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

bitcoin

manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Any views on bitcoin? If you hold the view that the concept will gain traction, it makes sense that eventually one of these "currencies" will become the dominant one. Because of their headstart and solid looking governance, bitcoin is the most promising candidate at this stage, imv. Only 21m will ever be created (mined), as I understand it, so value of each coin set to increase. bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitxZAR and the exchange bitx.co.za A bit illiquid still, but it looks like a nice d/bottom in the making. Take a look.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the folks who are going to make money here are the exchanges (those that don't go bust or get hacked)
0 Kudos
manere_fortis
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for warning, Simon
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Held since around R4/btc (2010? 2011?) but won't buy more. Cost me R300 and worth about R30k now. It's like electronic flaky gold - limited supply and varying demand, so value determined entirely by greater fools. Which is fine. If I were you, only put in some minor amount that ensures participation if it explodes in value but you won't feel like an idiot for losing. If you're looking to speculate, maybe look at litecoin or one of the others.

From what I've heard the actual currency might or might not win but the blockchain is likely to persist (as it has other technical benefits) so the price probably won't go to zero.
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
litecoin actually better tech and more secure, as is often the case the second dev is the better as it improves/fixed on the first .. and then of course there is dogecoin and heck you can even make your own crypto currency .. http://coingen.io/
0 Kudos