Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

dow takes off

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
long time since a +2% day in the US, longs gonna love today ...
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
CE
Super Contributor
Dunno why our last conversation comes to mind ......
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
? what was the last one ? me mind is weak today .
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I made a comment to a forumite, "keep one eye on international markets". You totally disagreed.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
aha, ya I remember. My point was/is, international markets are noise re trading. If the local market is flying and you're long, and then say the Dax or FTSE or Cac or whatever opens red - now what? You exit on indirect info (AKA noise) or do you trade the price (AKA local index) and stay long? Certainly international markets have zero influence in my trading signals, in fact when entering exiting I totally ignore them. This is my main point on system design/usage, you can add whatever one wants into a system to help trigger signals, international markets could be one of the things you add. But my experience says it is of little use, rather use a few direct issues and trade that. Taking it a step further, I don't use anything that is not on a chart. In days way past I used to use international markets, but after a while I worked out that first waiting for an international market to confirm actually cost me money, didn't make me money.

The bottom line is really very simple - trade the price and ignore the noise.

That said a +2% day in the US will see us fly, and that's just a nice thing seeing as I am already long and well in the profit. Certainly not sure how you would trade this 2% move in the US?
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I have a small amount in a PUT. Did not take profit when I had the chance and did not get around "trading" yesterday as my business took up my time. So, I'm in for a bit of a loss today, check it out, you have access to the back office. But the "noice" is surely going to affect us today, two eyes on international markets today I guess.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure noise effects us, always does - but how do we trade it? And that's the point. Not that we aren't effected by the noise, but that there is so much noise and we don't know which is going to effect us today or in which direction. What noise do we include, which to exclude ???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Interesting to note that the ASX spiked up in its first hour of trading, but that it pulled back for the rest of the day (although its still green). Maybe the US was just a huge amount of short covering - apparently the volumes were not that dazzling.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
I would think one include the "trend noise" ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
CE, an that's trading. Anybody can add anything, or as in my case - add nothing (my lazy system, that has me long for 10 days, only uses 7 EMA's). Point is if it works consistently, then it's a winner.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Sure, I'm off to out patients, need some stitches.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an talking of noise, topi only up 0.58% ...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looks like all buyers and sellers are stunned by the big move in the US last night - no-one knows what to do - we're just going sideways (FTSE the same). Methinks now's really the time not to get emotional on any sudden up or down move - think there are a lot of market participants out there waiting for some noise and just waiting to hit "buy" or "sell", which will probably be emotional - any views?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well as always - just trade your system and ignore everything else.
0 Kudos