Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

extract from Citigroup boss' memo

DST
Super Contributor
.... In addition to our strong capital position, I am most encouraged with the strength of our business so far in 2009. In fact, we are profitable through the first two months of 2009 and are having our best quarter-to-date performance since the third quarter of 2007. ... ...
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
and people wonder why banks are running ..
0 Kudos
dilligaff
Super Contributor
Citi took $50 Billion in taxpayer dollars and suddenly managed to turn a profit after 5 consecutive quarterly losses that total more than $37 Billion. All is well!??
...unsubstantiated by any real accouting or auditing, could get that many people to buy Citi stock??
0 Kudos
_nova
Super Contributor
Vikram is talking absolute BS. Citi is already running at a loss for 09. Ok, so 8.9bn profit? ... that's before taxes and 'special items' like the billions of bailout. Citi is not in profit, it's a bankrupt bank, period. Nice short opportunity for the pro's
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'd like to see a breakdown of their income before I get too wildly optimistic. How much is derived from "normal" operations versus how much is derived from brokering TARP-like deals? (See eg. http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/09032009/399/barclays-warned-toxic-asset-dumping.html - Citi retained by the British Treasury to help in negotiations with Barclays.)
0 Kudos