Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

futures closing price

derick_1
Occasional Contributor
Please help. I took a sell position on a share, and it closed down at last trade of 790,,,however it says that the latest price is 850, and puts me out of pocket,,,,and clearly the last traded price was 790,,,what the !@#$,,, in fact it happened with two positions,,,do i need to go back to school ?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
samoa
Super Contributor
maybe.. Which share?
0 Kudos
derick_1
Occasional Contributor
netcare sell,,,,simmers buy
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Note that when the little cross is red i.e. during the day and early evening, then the price of the future is based on the bid price (for long positions) or the offer price (for shorts), not the ruling price. When the cross turns green (later in the evening), the price is based on a mark-to-market price from the JSE (which you'll notice is calculated with a somewhat different formula compared to the Standard Bank calculation). To minimise confusion, add the underlying share to your watchlist and refer mainly to that to assess the performance of your trade.
0 Kudos
derick_1
Occasional Contributor
thanks mate,,that clears it up,,,wonder if it's quite a fair calculation though ? Suppose what u lose today u can make up tommorrow,,,?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yeah, you always buy and sell using the Standard Bank formula, so the JSE mark-to-market values are of purely academic interest.
0 Kudos