Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

simon: entry points

Not applicable
want to invest. heres my picks. implats (10% of my portfolio), stanbank (15%), rmb (15%), ppc (15%), either edcon or massmart (13%), sasol (12%), mtn (10%)and exxaro (10%). now i feel that these shares would give me a good return over a few years but what about within the next 6 - 8 months. if this is possible i cannot afford to enter the market just before its about to correct itself. But then again ive beenn waiting to enter the market since aug 2006. What should i do, carry on waiting or just jump in now. Thanks
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
DCTrader
Super Contributor
I'd include a few more Rand hedged stocks like OML... just a thought
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Enter now or u might wait your hole life for corrections
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
A couple of thoughts. I can not comment directly on the stocks, but you have spread the risk by buying a couple of different stocks in different sectors. If you are worried about the bear but equally worried about missing out on any bull, enter in parts. So don't buy all MTN today, buy a half or third and then more in a month or 3 and so on.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
There is an old saying,sell in May and go away!US vacations are some times given the blame for this phenomina.i really dunno why it should be so.Plats are at the moment thriving and would be a pity to miss some of this run.To avoid large reversal of any shares u buy now put an alert on them about 6% under the purchase price and move it up as they advance.Also put a stop-loss of 9 to 12% behind the plat shares u choose.Of the large caps i prefer Impala at the moment as it is coming up to its final in Sept.I really think it is better to trade over a shorter period till u have built up enough funds to trade over longer periods.For Dividend dates check out Company Profiles on the menu.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
Beware! = I meaning good companies but pricy. Most JSE companies at record high.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
There is an old saying,sell in May and go away!US vacations are some times given the blame for this phenomina.i really dunno why it should be so.Plats are at the moment thriving and would be a pity to miss some of this run.To avoid large reversal of any shares u buy now put an alert on them about 6% under the purchase price and move it up as they advance.Also put a stop-loss of 9 to 12% behind the plat shares u choose.Of the large caps i prefer Impala at the moment as it is coming up to its final in Sept.I really think it is better to trade over a shorter period till u have built up enough funds to trade over longer periods.For Dividend dates check out Company Profiles on the menu.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
barry another odl saying from tawin; october is often a very bad month to be invested, so in jan, feb, mar, apr, etc.
0 Kudos