Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

so sell in May ??

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an the market moved up 11.3% in May ??
0 Kudos
18 REPLIES 18
eddy66
Super Contributor
sell in june,may's too soon! Stay in May and play. whatever...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
As long as it rhymes ....... I reckon this "sell in May..." myth is BUSTED.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well unless you don't like money and would rather have got the very modest money market account interesty type thingy ??
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well Simon, what is your prognosis for June? Should we stay away from that interest thingy, or should we remain in shares. PS - and pls don't answer with that only trade the price thingy you always say. It's so May.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I never know the future .. just that nursery rhymes don't fit into the market ..
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well, I don't believe in nursery rhymes as investment insight either, but I do know the future. We will not make 11% return in June.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Well we have nearly 3% gain on the first day maybe your crystal ball has got a flaw, no?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You where singing the same tune in the begging of last month ? had someing to do with a rat ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
he didn;t say June would be red .. just "We will not make 11% return in June" .. so maybe he is aiming for +15% in June ??
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
It's all a load of nonsense, "sell in may and go away" or any other silly rhyme. I reckon the last 17 out of 24 months of MAY (including 2009) are UP. The market is no place for poets.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Buy in June and ride the balloon
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
sell in june and ride the burst of the balloon
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Since June has a worst historical performance than May, wouldn't "Prune in June" be more apt than "sell in May.....". Nah....lets rather "Rely on July" or "be aghast in August"...........but "lets remember September" because it should all be "over by October".
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Maybe they meant sell on the last day of May. Shew, this ancient wisdom is tricky stuff.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ofcourse one must consider that the saying sell in may is a statement liked to long term secular bull markets...since we are in a bear and a such the short sellers are in controll of the market those who choose to exit positions now would be actually buying the market( short covering) so one would expect a rally as people reduce exposures before taking summer holiday
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos