Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

some good leassons learnt

Surf_Rat
Super Contributor
1. lesson if you own shares on a rally but you need to hedge to prevent loss of capital if you expect the rate to increase then short a future but only short it at the last moment ( Like in the case of the announcement tomorrow ) with tight stops 2. When your short is working for you let it work for as long as your emotions will let you just do not go long until the short has shorted out ( Those Americans who log on at 4 pm could cost you ) If you want to go long just to sort out the ego then do it in small bites 3. Gambling on interest rate (causes BIG Pain) so check out where the Rand is going and hedge Good Rand Hedges good for anxiety Take it or leave it but two trades in all the excitement took a potential profit of R 70 000 from GFI cause thought R 24 000 was good for 3 days then went long cause thought I could catch those Americans out at 4 pm but then had the oil spill and down we went . and then there was Tito cost me R 16 000 on a hedge on Mr Price ( sold my shares at R 22 ) but went short to protect margin at 19.50 but being a bear went short on more shares than I owned Must have smoked some serious stuff the last few days
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
striker
Super Contributor
So there you have it - now who says trading the market is difficult ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey amigo...r u still holding gold longs?? As posted last week I went long har on friday and was away on business this week so u could imagine my surprise yesterday when i noticed blood on me cargos. Anywayz went long big time yesterday (mostly ang) and out 80% out today on some good moola. Now that it broke 850 me not so sure anymore and will just play rallies. Also my opinion is 4get har and gfi and concentrate only on ang. They reduced their hedge and have a total production cost of less than usd500 as oppossed to gfi(usd869) and har(>900)....which means the later 2 are in loss if gold stays where it is. FWIW shorted asa in closing auction.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
also remember my post last month....that until mid august gold/stocks will get caned and banks will fly and this will reverse positions right about now. Anyway I putting my money where my mouth is...either way tis gonna be a heckuva ride! adios!
0 Kudos