Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

the real Q

SIMBA
Super Contributor
At 57 years looking to sell my buisness by 60. I have done this calculation a 100 times, we have agreed that we need to pay off our morningside and cape town bonds and have 12 million of intrest or dividen earning assets. To live as we live today for the next 30 years and i drive a Volvo not a Roller...so think hard
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Berlusconi, Soros, call me what you want - be it property or stocks, if there's money to be made it doesn't matter what the instrument is. Difference is that stocks are now bordering on overpriced again, and US real estate not.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The other side of this question.... if all you have is the time before you die...would you continue to do the things you get paid for after you have that magic number? I recon for me that number is 10 million pounds.. and I would do more of this kind of work! I would also travel and go sking every year and visit Itally every summer. but I would still work.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
It's clear to me that everybody hates their jobs.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I love my work
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
another thought, my view from analysing the rich is that they dont stop working that easily, look at Warren Buffett, Johann Rupert, George Soros, you name it, then people like Jamie Dimon are driven to work and build something great along with that greatness comes enormous wealth and that makes then rich (just watch Jamie Dimon's status grow over the years, wait 10 years and you will see what i mean - he will reach US$1bn+ in his career still), as they go on, these geniuses only acquire more wealth and that is the best way to get rich. So i think if one really wants to accumilate substantial wealth one need to work hard, if ones only goal is to stop working and live off ones cash/investment it will hamper the growth... any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
John, that's good to hear. I used to hate mine; resigned in Feb after 17 years and trading full time now.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ah how lovely it would be if the cost of my living was linked to CPI!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
personally, i beleive every person has at least one opportunity in thier life to put themselves on the road to substaintial wealth creation, but most either dont recognise the opportunity or are too scared to take the opportunity.. i also think the main problem with accumulation of vast amounts of wealth is the lack of capital. if we all started out with R100 000 bucks, chances are there would be much more multi millionaires globally...some of us have the tools n plans to create wealth but the lack of capital, cash flow etc which hamper our chances, n ppl usually give up along the way as they feel that 20 - 30 years is way too long to accumulate wealth!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the reason they keep working Werner is that they love the game..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yes, and that leads to even more wealth being created. thats really the way, find something you love and the money will follow.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With the R100 000 most will blow it and stay in the bell curve of being average. Its just the couple of outliers that will distinguish themselves, and that might be more up to the laws of chance than skill.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
one thing that has stuck in my mind for some time now is something i read in a book or heard sumwhere: 'becoming rich is a choice'! - sumthing along the lines of that! i love it
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'd definitely continue working - I enjoy it. I'm at my happiest when I'm productive and fulfilling more of my potential. My grandfather retired at 60, sailed around the Med for a while and then got back to work.

"Your work is to find your work, and then do it with all your heart" - Budda.
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
My aim is to have 3 million in the market, at todays value, I believe that from dividends and some trading I can live very comfortably. I have 10 years to do it, so by then probably 6 million, lol, dammit will b working for a long while yet!
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Live every day as if your last, but plan your finances as if you're going to live forever.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
stick to your plan, build your portfolio and accumulate extra funds, then you will reach your goal. i think the most important is to have the plan, and the rest will follow.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My idea of a balanced life has always been to find something you love to do and them spend (nearly) all your time on it
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I f-ed up my hobby by finding a job in the field!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The answer is 0. House car etc is paid for - no debt. So my wife must just keep her job at the bank and be the bread winner...
0 Kudos