Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

week ahead

Not applicable
Last week they trapped all the bears and put the sequezzes on them, this week they trapping the bulls and hurting them quite nicely. A wise investor said last week the downtrace will be twice as fast as the uptrace. Italy is in the spotlight, soon is gonna be Spain.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
gareth01
Regular Contributor
The market loved the optimism of EU leaders resolving "contagion" effect.....on paper, but implementation and commitment by all seems to be far from the truth..... Taking a 50% write-off is still a default.....and more downgrades to come.. So the Bears will continue for some time as the preferred dominant trend....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well, each to their own, but this looks pretty darn bullish to me, with nothing but a minor pullback off the back of a strong rally. Start buying now folks, because this rally could last well into early January, as the markets always do over december.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I like the price action on the small (and micro) caps. It is often difficult to see (hear?) through the noise with the big stocks; but the tiny stuff has found a bottom in most cases - and is beginning to push higher. That must bode well for the rest of the market...
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Japan sells Yen, buys US long treasuries which drives dollar. Greek tragedy goes for broke via referendum which drives dollar. Will the FED add to or take away from the madness. Place your bets.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Seems like "Blue Chips to Cow Chips phemomenon"
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
I agree with Skaap, but as usual will look the charts and wait for confirmation
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@Rams, if the intention on the strategy is to enter at the bottoms of the channel, then I am not sure you will be able to wait for confirmation. This type of trading relies on the corrections to make money. The last place you would want to be entering is
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Current case in point, the bull channel is between 30000 and 27800 more or less. Where we are sitting at now is slap bang in the middle. There is enough wiggle room to day trade the ALSI, but I don't think there is enough to determine anything more than a 3 or 4 day time period. Start looking to go long on stocks at an ALSI around 27800 - hold on to what you have, unless the ALSI breaks its channel. I don't short personally, but if we have a weak pullback to the 2900 level, I would probably advocate going short. That is my strategy.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Variables now include:
  • Will Greek parliament vote no confidence / will Greek govt survive
  • Will Greek parliament vote no to the referendum
  • Will the Greeks vote no in the referendum
  • Will private creditors really accept the 50% 'voluntary' haircut
  • Will all affected banks be adequately capitalised
  • Will France be downgraded
  • Will France being downgraded affect the EFSF rating
  • 0 Kudos
    Fredsed
    Super Contributor
    From the space station we are advised that uncertainty appears to rule the planet out to as far as the troposphere and occasionally somewhat beyond, depending on which highly respected economist is making a speech.
    0 Kudos
    Not applicable
    becareful, latest headlines is that PM got cabinets support, so I think there wont be a vote of no confidence being passed on Friday. Furthermore, for the people striking on all continents, this referendum may be seem as a victory.
    0 Kudos
    Rams
    Super Contributor
    the greeks have been told that the prescription is non-negotiable...they must take the medicine that has been prescribed to them...so trade the noise
    0 Kudos
    Rams
    Super Contributor
    and the Greek prime mininister has been kicked out for not taking the prescribed medicine! More noise
    0 Kudos