Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Billiton vs Anglo

barry_1
Super Contributor
When the BULL MARKET returns,u don't believe me? It will for sure,i've been in bear markets before,as this time have done as badly as in the past,but will s*****e m'self off the floor and carry on regardless!....Interesting facts: Since 15 Aug BIL down -6% AGL down -10%....Since start of year BIL down -3%, AGL down -17%.... Since 15/12/2005 BIL up +106%, AGL up 58%. ....Methinks BIL will overtake AGL as the main bean in the packet. Please share your thoughts as to why and which one is likely to thrive.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
barry_1
Super Contributor
what the? that word with the stars is "s-c-r-a-p-e"
0 Kudos
Trying
Contributor
I am big into BIL and just bought some more this morning . I can afford to hold these for long , and will do so . Bull vs Bear - BIL is a sound company and will make us big loot (even in the medium term) .
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Louisg ,suppose these shares have your approval,as when the dividends are counted with they make a good long term buy?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I think the Ba*****eng tribe should s*****e a few bob together and arrange a bee deal with Ad***** Ingram.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL Russ, you are a hoot. Intersting stats Barry, seems as if the market prefers BIL. As a complete non-expert I think it's a better company, better managed, longer term view (AGL always seems to be selling off something!), more aggressive when it come to acquisitions etc. Also, broader based interests than AGL.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
ha ,ha ,brilliant!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Isn't agl more invested in gold than bil?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
And thanks,I was just hoping nobody would be offended by the word bob.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Couldn't dump AngolGold fast enough - not sure if they even have any holding any more?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
(as in bob mugabe)
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
They certainly are good long term buys for someone who wants a balanced portfolio. BIL is down 36% and AGL is down 40% from their highs. There's blood in the street, so for someone looking to add to their position for the LONG TERM, why not? BIL would be my preferred choice. As far as I can recall BIL has not got PLATINUM exposure though, pity. Hopefully that will change soon.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
u r both right,Brazen they are selling off their gold asset ,trying to get out nearly completely,funnily if they had remained in they would have done better,as gold has only dropped by a third,but platinum group has slumped....Their Chairman is also a very abrasive charater ,trying to run the mines here on Alcan (her former job) safety standards....AMS admitted to losing millions due to this policy....Mining down to two kilometers is always going to be dangerous,lets face the fact....A geologist friend of mine decribed deep level mining as "organised chaos" !
0 Kudos
Not applicable
To be safe, rather use the afrikaans word for a few bob.... *****ant
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
I have today sold most of my smaller holdings,and bought up Billitons.At these levels can I be wrong ? *****e I hope not.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
anyways this morning i tok a PUT warrant on AGL which is far superior to BIL for that purpose!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Very wrong striker, do not, and i repeat, do not go into resources right now, not even in the name of averaging down. You will be sorry in the coming 6-24 months at least. Unless you have a >3 year investment strategy.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
seems the market is turning overseas,anyway i'll hold my agl puts for a couple of weeks,usually i sell out after a couple if days,as im not convinced yet that the slaughter is over for anglo the TA still shows firmly down,might buy more if i become its a dead cat bounce.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
one small positive for resources is that the rand is now over eight to the dollar,will also help our balance of payments.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
And now US unemployment even worse than consensus at 6.1. No rally here today folks.
0 Kudos