Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Offshore share trading

Blik
Super Contributor
Hello Forum. Does anyone on this forum have an offshore trading platform, where you buy and seel shares , warrents, futures etc, on another bourse and back the cash in dollars, pounds, euros etc. As part of your 2 mill offshore allowance - is this a good thing to get into? For example you could buy SA shares on the LSE and bank the pounds? Any ideas on this? One advantage, I guess, is that we know our own companies and have access to the information here. I am not SA negative , but if you have an above board chance to invest 2 mill overseas, why not? If anyone is doing this, are there any pitfalls to watch out for. All must be above board of course.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
asylum
Super Contributor
First you need to open an overseas bank account, standart bank can open an account for you as they have a branch on the isle of man, from there you can deposit your funds and transfer the amount you want to a broker or online trading platform. Merits yes if the Rand plunges you score.omo
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Shot Asylum. Sure no problem - get the tax clearance and open a bank account - Guernsey - has same time zones as us. Do you know or prefer a particular bank? But thats about all I know. Essentially I would like some foreign currency earnings....something that pays out in Dollars, Pounds or Euros
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Natwest is good -Natwest Broker Line-- here is a link. http://www.natweststockbrokers.co.uk/ There is a bit of paperwork to do but they are very helpful and will voice call to communicate. Once u have opened any account with them , savings , current , card account then the next step to a trading account is easy. There is a lot of paperwork via snail mail but when it happens it works great.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For CFD, forex or spreads there are companies that manage your account for you and are basically linked to your SA account , so no need for a off shore bank account. The benefit of this is that there are no bank charges
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
This has been here before. Go to www.nodealingdesk.com to see where NOT to go. Then try out www.mbtrading.com. Best spreads on Forex/CD's, etc. And you can trade all shares as well.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Sorry for all the questions - but let me ask another: Do any banks that have their base in a tax free zone - Caymans, Geurnsey, Monaco etc, have trading platforms, so that I wouldnt have to pay tax on the profits of my trade? But is that being too greedy?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
cfd, spread betting no tax that side
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Just beware of all the red tape and certified documents that need to be completed if you want to bring the funds back to S.A ,
0 Kudos