Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Reasons to sell

Not applicable
Would you sell a share purely because you are embarrassed to admit you hold them?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Brazen
Super Contributor
mmmm interesting question Mboy. My first instint was to say yes, absolutely. But then I thought about AGL, the gold miners, SOL's safety record etc. Big business and morality - how much has changed since they sent kids down the coal mines.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think the question should be Is this a good reason to sell short!
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
Fund Managers would say "yes", but I say....define the "reason" for the embarassment, i.e. it depends...
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Does ABO fall in this catagory somewhere ?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
LOL CE! Is that an admission? Cos you should be embarrassed. God, never mind embarrassed, you should join some kind of group.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
if thats an ethical question, I do know some people who wont hold any alchohol related shares for example. I personally have no ethics when it comes to shares...although maybe I should
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
B-babes ! Be nice now, was just so tempted .....
0 Kudos
peekay
Frequent Contributor
Ethics? What is that? Insider trading? What? Look at the volumes of Rainbow Chicken before the public holiday, and then a 35% jump in price after the long weekend. And then this is supposed to be ethical and insider trading not allowed...... Makes you drink, doesn't it....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I met one of the guys who made up a large part of that volume, A bear who had his ass kicked and was buying out of desperation to cover his losses. No insider info he tells me just pure desperate luck.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well my JDG are sold. Was my reason embarrassment, a bit...did I sell because I thought the price would drop, a bit. But I often wonder if I would hold certain shares if my friends and family scrutinised my portfolio. It is like the question "Would you commit a crime if you knew you wouldnt be caught."....which is kinda what JDG have been doing.
0 Kudos