Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

Community

Share knowledge. Find answers. Ask questions.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Reliable Techincal Indicators

Highlighted
Super Contributor
The main indicators i use when trading are: the stochastics, RSI, ROC,Volume, and my favourite, the bollinger bands, but i still seem not to have 100% confidence in these indicators. I need something that will help give me a strong confirmation, or hint as to weather my decision is right AND can be sustained for a while. Can anyone suggest something i should look into? Iv found the stochastics and bollinger quite reasonable tho. Thanks
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Not applicable
BBS,VNK, Pivot points, price action
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Take your pick, Mr. S - no quick fix i'm afraid, lest we will all be winners all the time: Accelerator/Decelerator Oscillator - AC Accumulation/Distribution - A/D Alligator Average Directional Movement Index - ADX Average True Range - ATR Awesome Oscillator - AO Bollinger Bands - BB Commodity Channel Index - CCI DeMarker - DeM Elder-rays Envelopes Force Index - FRC Fractals Gator Oscillator - Gator Ichimoku Kinko Hyo Market Facilitation Index - BW MFI Momentum Money Flow Index - MFI Moving Average - MA Moving Average Convergence/Divergence - MACD Moving Average of Oscillator - OsMA On Balance Volume - OBV Parabolic SAR Relative Strength Index - RSI Relative Vigor Index - RVI Stochastic Oscillator Williams' Percent Range - %R Overlays Moving Averages - Chart overlays that show the 'average' value over time. Both Simple Moving Averages (SMAs) and Exponential Moving Averages (EMAs) are explained. Bollinger Bands - A chart overlay that shows the upper and lower limits of 'normal' price movements based on the Standard Deviation of prices. Keltner Channels - A chart overlay that shows upper and lower limits for price movements based on the Average True Range of prices. Moving Average Envelopes - A chart overlay consisting of a channel formed from simple moving averages. Parabolic SAR - A chart overlay that shows good 'trailing stop' (i.e., sell) points graphically. Price Channels - A chart overlay that shows a channel made from the highest high and lowest low for a given period of time. Volume by Price - A chart overlay with a horizontal histogram showing the amount of activity at various price levels. ZigZag - A chart overlay that shows filtered price movements that are greater than a given percentage. Indicators Accumulation/Distribution Line - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Aroon - Shows whether a stock is trending or oscillating. Average Directional Index (ADX) - Shows whether a stock is trending or oscillating. Average True Range (ATR) - Measures a stock's volatility. Bollinger Band Width - Shows the distance between a stock's Bollinger Bands. Commodity Channel Index (CCI) - Shows a stock's variation from its 'typical' price. Chaikin Money Flow (CMF) - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Alternative to Accumulation/Distribution Line. Chaikin Oscillator - Combines price and volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Based on Accumulation/Distribution Line. Force Index - A simple price-and-volume oscillator. Moving Average Convergence/Divergence (MACD) - Difference of two EMAs that shows a stock's momentum and direction. Money Flow Index (MFI) - Combines a stock's 'typical' price with its volume to show how money may be flowing into or out of the stock. On Balance Volume (OBV) - Combines price and volume in a very simple way to show how money may be flowing into or out of a stock. Percentage Price Oscillator (PPO) - A percentage-based version of the MACD indicator. Percentage Volume Oscillator (PVO) - The PPO indicator applied to volume instead of price. Price Relative - Technical indicator that compares the performance of two stocks to each other by dividing their price data. Rabbitt Q-Rank - Paul Rabbit's proprietary indicator that rates a stock based on technical and fundamental factors. Rate of Change (ROC) and Momentum - Shows the speed at which a stock's price is changing. Relative Strength Index (RSI) - Shows how strongly a stock is moving in its current direction. Standard Deviation (Volatility) - A statistical measure of a stock's volatility. Stochastic Oscillator (Fast, Slow, and Full) - Shows how a stock's price is doing relative to past movements. Fast, Slow and Full Stochastics are explained. StochRSI - Combines Stochastics with the RSI indicator. Helps you see RSI changes more clearly. TRIX - A triple-smoothed moving average of price movements. Ultimate Oscillator - Combines long-term, mid-term and short-term moving averages into one number. Williams %R - Uses Stochastics to determine overbought and oversold levels. Introduction to Market Indicators - An in-depth introduction to popular market indicators found on StockCharts.com.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
If you could had 100% confidence in any indicator, then believe me it would have been discovered and so wildly used that you could automate it and sit on the beach.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Also some sma's as indication of the primary trend...and of course backtesting of the various indicators. Then add gutfeel, experience, a fair dollop of luck, some common sense, discipline, conviction and voila...before you know it, it's all gone?!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Thanks for the replies guys. Experience and discipline are the 2 things im lacking :-) working on it tho!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable
hi, st, rsi and stuff are oscillator indicators, hence they work well in oscillating ( sidewards ) markets, but have a nasty habit of whipshawing in trending markets, one needs to back test these indicators by using trend filters, eg moving averages.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
keep it simple, I use 2 or 3 moving averages .. trading is not about the pretty charts that pretend to predict the future .. trading is about selling, the buying is meaningless - it just gets you into a trade .. the selling makes money and limits losses ..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
I see there are tonnes of charts that one could use to trade but OST has only allowed the use of a few, doe this mean it thinks the ones they have provided are adequate for successful trading? or are these just the bare basics needed?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
basics .. the java charts here are not a full suite, rather a basic model which some find more then good enough while others want all the bells ..
0 Kudos