Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Simon - Data collection - Watchlists and/or Price history

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Simon, Just trying to see if this is possible. I would like to automate an formula but for this would require some data, tried looking at the watchlists and the available data (BTW: i like the new watchlists) but seem to be missing 1 or 2 required fields. I know i can find these on the financial data page on the share (on OST) but to make my system work the best I would not like to capture all the data each time, saving a CSV or Excel file is way better. Is there any way i can compile a CSV file on OST that would include the price, Earnings Yield, Dividend Yield (which are all in the watchlist) with the following 2 fields, NAV and NAV Growth over time (5 - 10 years)? This obviously is only documented 2 a year, so would be duplicate. The only issue about capturing this manually is time and a huge job to go through all the shares one wants to analyse. if one can get this in an exported file one could run it on almost all the companies on the system with ease. any ideas?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
not soethign we would add to the watch lists .. but maybe to the data downloads, maybe even let youu select the fields to download into csv .. but why not write a script to scrp the website, not too hard ??
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Thanks Simon, will look into that. I got it working on the TD Ameritrade system, they have that function to select columns, maybe in the future the data download could include it. would be cool. In the meantime i will think about that script idea.
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
Offering an option to download certain data for a given share as a CSV file would be fantastic.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Please help me improve my knowledge - what is CSV?
0 Kudos
mwk
Frequent Contributor
A comma-separated values or character-separated values (CSV) file is a simple text format for a database table (which can be imported into spreadsheet software such as Excel).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values
0 Kudos
XWolf
Contributor
Hi Werner
For interest sake... what scripting language+method would you go for?
Simon, any suggestions?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Never really did that before, but my guess is that javascript could be the best. but not sure how i would get from the various pages in a automated manner, i only need a single field for each year, so maybe its just easier to go through the mission to copy/paste it. only 10 numbers for 10 years - per share.
0 Kudos