Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stock Picker Challenge.

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Now the entries are closed. tonight will reflect the first moves, i can already guess how it will look, lol... I compiled a spreadsheet with the most popular shares in this year's challenge, see the news page - http://www.valueinvestorsa.com/stockpicker/News.aspx
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Blik
Super Contributor
How can you be sure that the picks are actually in our own portfolios? Or is it an honesty game?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
There is no way of telling if the picks are actually held in the contestants OST portfolio, I also think this is not important as it is a competition of who thinks what share will do best in 2009, if you hold it or not, doesn't actually matter in my view.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
No worries - it was just the original challenge was for picks in our own portfolios. I have gone with picks in my own portfolio, although whether I'll be hanging onto them all for this year is another question. Good stuff.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Blik, my picks i also have in my portfolio...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
At what level / price do you see value in Anglo?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I cannot tell that offhand, i havent actually looked at Anglo much, i have a few BIL shares i bought quite some time back, but never researched Anglo, if i find some time i will look into it though.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Hi Werner, where did the benchmark come in 2008?
0 Kudos
conradl
Contributor
I chose shares based on what i was interested in or have in my portfolio. I see since last year, the number of entrants tripled. Congratulations Werner, next million a month competition ;)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
DST, sorry, the final calculation didnt have the STX40 in, i just checked, it would have been at place 16/17 = -26% (approx)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Yes, this year is a real awesome run! thanks guys, i think we will have lots of fun...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have selected (mainly) a bunch of small caps that I would never dream of holding on to for the whole year. Had I picked a "good" portfolio, I would expect average to above-average performance, but almost zero chance of winning. With the "extreme" portfolio I chose, I've got a better chance of extreme performance, either extremely good, or extremely bad, depending on what the market does.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Good thinking,better luck than me last year mate!....I tried just that and came fifth from last!
0 Kudos
Sugar_Snap
Frequent Contributor
Hi Werner, is there no change to still enrol ?
0 Kudos