Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stop Losses

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Hello Forumites I have a major prob with Stop Losses. When I lock them into the system they seem to trigger on some ridiculous small volume trade and the share improves immediately after my stop has fired off.Or conversely it triggers but the price is already lower than where I had set the stop loss so no sale happens.On the other hand if I do it manually I watch the share just in case it is going to rally on the next trade and I watch it fall another 5%!! Advice pullease. Manual or automated? Regards
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
set an alert instead .. btu be careful to them ignore the stop loss ..
0 Kudos
Jughead
Contributor
Same here it happened with HARSBN a while ago. Think stop the warrents and go for more conservative shares.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
it happens too often to be coincidence.is it possible that when your trigger price get triggered say at r100 on a long trade and your limit is r98.the market change- the big boys cancel their sell orders ,u cant cause its in the "system" and they buy a bargain at r98?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in the system it is anonymous, but usually the stop is to tight and their are player out there that know it and target those tight stops. Like Simon says rather set alert and see what happend to share when it triggers. What factors play into it dropping and is it a position to consider getting out of or adding more shares to?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
good idea to set alert than u can watch while u getting nailed he he!
0 Kudos