Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TV fault

Wizard
Super Contributor
I bought myself for Xmas LG TV 32 inch HD.Scarlet, apparently the cutting edge of technology. The still pictures are fantastic, but when I look at the ticker for example on Bloomberg and it appears blurry. It doesn't follow a moving object perfectly. Is that a fault with the TV or am I missing something??
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Not applicable
Have you got HD DSTV?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Just a normal decoder
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thats the problem, normal analog/digital DSTV or any other station does not show very well on a high def telly. To solve the problem upgrade to high def DSTV and will show the true power of the beast. I have a hd myself and had the same issue.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
Thanks! Will do that.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the decoder might help a bit, but it aint really going to solve the problem. The main problem and what you need to try understand is the basic principle behind how these TV's work. Also, if you think the ticker is bad, try watching a soccer match on your TV and you will see how blurry it will really look. Anyways moral of the story is when buying a TV or even a computer screen its not about the size that counts. Its about the refresh rate and resolution. So the question is whata resolution do you have and what refresh rate is iit at??? One thing I do know is that the latest LCD/Plasma technology does not have refresh rates nearly capable of keeping up with with a moving picture. In the old CRT screens everything was literally written to screen. With flat screen everything is written to memory and that memory is than taken to give the pixel's properties. i.e. its colour, etc. Having said that it is therefore important to have high colour contrasts (i.e. 32-bit on like monitors more on TV's) Also the refresh rate is proportional to memory access times. So if I access memory once a second your pixel updates once a second and your eye will pick that up very easily. Most cutting edge TV's are at 4ms some 8ms. The human eye can differentiate that very easily in moving pictures. Hope this helps...But at the moment a CRT is still the best in terms of quality. That is soon to change but give it 2 years or so, so that manufacturers can bump up the refresh rates.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
PS when I say bump up the refresh rate I actually mean speed it up. So from 8ms to say 1ms would be fabulous :)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wanted to buy a HD tv two months ago, luckily i saw a documentary programe on bbc where they compared all the tv's and came out with the verdict that the old fashioned tv is still the best last longer cheaper to maintain and handles kids better too LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ooooo. I've heard reports Sony will be slashing prices on all there LCD TVs 1st thing next year due to the slump in sales etc. just keeping the prices up for chrismas.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Very interesting and useful, Ozone and others. Many thanks. I'll delay my purchase for a year or so and stick with the old fashioned CRT.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
TZ, next year is to late to slash prices. Massive discounts are now.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I never heard anyone complaining of those TVs until I got the problem myself. Well I just have to wait for the technology to improve get a new one and put this one in the bedroom :(
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Wizard - I deployed a similar setup (Samsung 27") 2 years ago with which I am satisfied with. Hooked it up via decoder and Sony DVD recorder using composite cables. Looking at the Bloomberg ticker right now and not as crisp as conventional TV, but definitely not fuzzy. Suggest you look at your setup and benchmark personally against similar systems running a Bloomberg ticker.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So if you cant watch decent TV on these things what is the point? Does plasma help? I was going to go buy one today so advice would be great
0 Kudos
webster_1
Frequent Contributor
Think a guy like Ozone should be able to assert more recommendations. I think the problem with plasma is that it could eventually "burn" a static picture into the screen - think the Bloomberg ticker running all day. I have seen it with CRT / PC monitors - but running the Bloomberg ticker for about 2 years on LCD am yet to see any symptoms. Two years ago I went to Audiovision with about 10K and ask for the most knowledgeable salesman to assist me for best value for my 10K - In my mind I wanted a Samsung (previous tv) and he very much compered the LG and Samsung next to each other - gave me a good story on the stuff Ozone spoke about and he reved about the Samsung "graphic engine". I bought the Samsung did the setup and am satisfied. A client of mine bough a 32" Sinotec LCD and the moving images all over DSTV with a HD PVR was not nearly as crisp comparing to my Samsung setup.
0 Kudos
Shard
Super Contributor
My sisters boyfriend works for Sony, they're not slashing at all. The retailers may however slash prices on old stock to clear it, but you wont be getting latest technology cheap.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I currently use a Samsung T260 as my computer screen and the clarity is the best I have ever seen.
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
I baught a Sansui 4 years ago, with a three year gaurantee, no problems and i can see Bronwyn just fine and Simon`s new range of ties. I wonder if he`s doing discounts on them this time round,lol
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Well I supose the solution is simple...don't watch bloomburg..it will do you know good anyway.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
We have a LG Plasma, also works very well, picture is very good, only issue is recently one of the circuit boards blew and we needed to call the technician in to replace it, this was due to Eskom's power fluctuations, now we got a surge protector and they say this should help in the future. Our old CRT TV never had these issues with the fluctuations in power, The guy at Tafelberg furnishers told us that the expensive Sony Bravia's have built in surge protectors, i don't know if thats true but its possible... that would be a good thing in SA currently. lol
0 Kudos