Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

are there any bargains out there

Not applicable
With the exception of the major resource counter (AGL, BHP, KIO, EXX) - I don't see any bargain basement material, IMO. Most JSE TOPI stocks are still trading well above their long term average PE's. So if you think that BHP is still sitting on a 9 times PE - it means that investors are still betting that an investment now will be recovered fully within 9 years. Seems to me that there is still a lot of confidence out there, and that we are pulling back from QE2 fuelled bubbles, rather than mass panic.
0 Kudos
39 REPLIES 39
Wizard
Super Contributor
Yes. All the shorts are at bargain prices!
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Real bargains, no, but I do see value in ABL, picked up some more this morning (3080), and SOL and CLS getting there.KIO & SBK very tempting, but will sit on my hands in the mean time.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Come-on - you okes are just chosing names out of a hat. FSR is sitting way above its long term PE average, VOD - sitting on a PE of 12 in a mature market, admittedly trading below MTN's PE - but who has the best growth. CLS, a PE of 16, Sasol, maybe sitting on its long term PE. None of these classify as bargains.
0 Kudos
FEK
Super Contributor
What about Anglo American and Anglogold then ?????
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well - are you going to tell us, or are you going to keep us in suspense for the rest of the day?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
gold stocks don't have PE's .. they have holes in the ground ..
0 Kudos
grommet
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Actually - it is gold that doesn't have a PE - it only has a P. And it has a C (cost), associated with keeping it. It has no I or D either - nor does it have an E. And since most gold investors use ETF's, they actually only have a promise of an A, and not an actual A (asset)- so we can conclude that people that think gold is an investment have no IDEA
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Agreed, that's why I said there were no bargains,yet. Trying to find things that will give a better return than cash under the pillow or in the bank.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
This year everything has been going to plan. Sell in May and go away. Bargain hunting October November!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
There are companies that have been negelected for some years now because of all this - ie people are afraid of straying too far from the liquid (Or fairly liquid) mainstream counters. They are simply cheap and will, one day, result in a handsome payoff.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I suggested VOD, because it touched primary support at R80-80, this market is going to rally sooner of later , rather rally with high yield div stock that is sitting at primary support.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
then look at KIO, massive DY and PE is below low range..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Simon also like JDH , i think?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
JDH? I waiting for 1c than I reverse list my wine collection into it ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
KIO has to be a winner here. Iron Ore is not exchange traded - so no inflated prices driven by speculation. KIO delivers some the of the best quality iron ore around - so it is virtually guaranteed a sale. Its only risk is the whole ACL mess, and that it might be forced back into a supply agreement. But if that happens, then we can logically assume that the SIO asset will transfer back into KIO - thereby increasing its asset base, so no risk there either. Even if it slashes its div by 50%, it is still a bargain at these levels.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Palamin on a PE of 6.3 and proabbly dropping a bit more???
0 Kudos