Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Is it posible that some investor is trying to create panic in ellies?

007REN
Occasional Contributor
Just a observation and a interesting question that I have regarding Ellies shares. Is it possible that some investor is every now and then buying a few Ellies shares say R600 but at a low price just to make it look that the overall value of the share is going down? This creates panic and the Share prices go's down and then the same investor buy's more for a much lower price... I am a new investor and if I look at the trades then I can see something like this. OR Ellies is just sucking right now? If everyone just stop selling there stock then the price wont go down.
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the latter "Ellies is just sucking right now"
Preston
Super Contributor
Not applicable
that kind of manipulation would require your manipulator to sell, not buy, at a low price to trigger stop losses and then buy bigger volumes at lower prices. It does happen, but not with illiquid stocks like Ellies. The more common manipulation that takes place with stocks like Ellies, is when people with large SSF or CFD exposures (like directors) buy at the closing bell, to push up the mark-to-market, so as not to have margin calls on their open positions. I think it was either the Chemspec or the CMH directors that were caught doing this some time ago, if memory serves
Preston
Super Contributor
Not really, I have caught them a few time...
Preston
Super Contributor
Not really, I have caught them a few time...