Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Make payment into home loan

5 REPLIES 5
FanaM1
Community Coordinator
Good morning, Marcus.

Please call us at 0860 123 001, or email us at [email protected]

Regards,
Standard Bank Team
marcus_c
New Contributor

Thank you for this detailed response. How do I reach the loan officer? Do I go into a branch or a specific number I can call? 

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Good afternoon, @marcus_c.

Thank you for reaching out with your question. When you make a payment towards your loan account, the portion of the payment that goes towards reducing the principal amount (the capital) depends on the terms of your loan agreement.

In most cases, a portion of your payment will go towards paying off the interest accrued on the loan, while the remainder will be applied towards reducing the principal balance. The exact breakdown of how your payment is allocated will be outlined in your loan agreement or can be obtained by contacting your loan servicer.

If you make a substantial payment, such as R1,000,000 towards a R1,600,000 loan account, it is likely that a significant portion of that payment will be applied towards reducing the principal balance, which would indeed decrease your outstanding loan amount to R600,000.

This reduction in the principal balance should also result in a decrease in your monthly debit order, as your outstanding loan balance and the associated interest charges will be lower.

However, it's essential to review your loan agreement or speak with your loan servicer to confirm the specifics of how payments are applied to your particular loan account and how they impact your monthly payments.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Sincerely, 

Standard Bank Team

marcus_c
New Contributor

Does 100% of the payment go into the capital? As in, paying R1,000,000 into a R1,600,000 loan account would reduce my loan to R600,000 and reduce my monthly debit order?

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hi @marcus_c.

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Please call our team at 0860 123 001 to link your home loan account.

The type of addition that you can do is only to view your home loan account. You can still make payments to your home loan account by following the normal EFT payment process and using your account number as a reference number.

Regards,

Standard Bank Team

marcus_c
New Contributor

Every time I log into the Standard Bank app, I have to re-add my home loan. When clicking on "Make a payment" I see the following Transaction error message.

"You need two qualifying accounts to do this". 

How can I make a payment into my home load account?