Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Verify Banking Details on Online Banking

CaRangers
New Contributor

02/17/2023 : I am in California and manage my South African monies on Online Banking.

To my surprise I was required for additional Info. (after the OTP). This was a surprise and a frustration as I cannot access my account.

One starts to panic for a SCAM, which is uncalled for due to miscommuniction between IT and Standard Bank Management and to Customers.

Customers cannot risk compromise of their banking/money securities to being open to Cyber/Scam risk.

As I read through the Community, only to find I am not alone. Does Standard bank  Management ever read our comments?

The sooner Standard bank fixes the dilema the better.

USA California Customer.

Lesley

Red5
New Contributor

Thanks - a good summary of the problems faced by many. I can log on to Internet Bank app from phone just fine, but Card Verification prevents access from laptop, including those used previously just fine in past and across Chrome/Firefox/Edge so its not related to the way in whcih the account is being accessed. The 086 number is a local one that does not work from overseas. I pay high fees for Private Banking so  lets see what turnaround response I have.  After 30 years it could be time to just say enough is enough.. 

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

Yup, agree.  I think I am going to switch my two childrens savings accounts from SBK to another bank - Capitec calls.  I'm just tired of the admin I get with Standard Bank

dominiqueza
Occasional Contributor

As I said before, nothing more than a little chatroom.

Our complaints are buried here far away from where anyone can see them, just the way they'd like it.

Responses on twitter are buried in unrelated threads - out of sight. Not sure about Facebook.

And for all that's been said on this thread, so far only their bot has responded with a canned response.

In the meantime there are tons of people locking their cards, and unable to bank online.

Standard Bank employees don't seem to understand the concept of alot of their clients actually not being in South Africa, so unable to call or go to a branch.

No help, no answers, zero accountability. Well done.

Frankie62
New Contributor
Frankie62
New Contributor
I have the same gripe. They have told me I am the only person in SA with this issue 🤣🤣. They are clueless to resolve. Told me going into a branch MIGHT help. I live miles from a branch !
BigLou66
Occasional Contributor

Summary of Verifying Banking Details on Online Banking as discussed so far:

1. You sign in either using the QR Code or Password. You then enter your OTP which you can receive either via sms on your phone or per email. Normally that should get you into your Online Banking Account which most users experience. In my opinion that should suffice.
  2. Another security feature “Card Details Verification” was recently added on 7th February 2023 by IT that very few Standard Bank employees seem to be aware of.
  3. It only seems to affect a select few of Standard Bank customers who use Online Banking.
  4. There is contradictory information concerning the “Card Details Verification”. a) it is a once-off b) you must enter it every time on any new device and if you clear your cookies for instance.
  5. It is a security risk entering your card details and ATM pin. Entering these details also goes contrary to the constant messaging from Standard Bank never to enter these details online, in an email or in an sms.
  6. There was no information regarding this new security feature beforehand and not after it was introduced. The user has no way of verifying whether this security feature is legitimate except by going to his or her local branch where this new feature is even unknown to those whose job it is to deal with Online Banking matters.
  7. There needs to be a balance between robust security features and Internet Banking user friendliness.

Now to the issue I have: I cannot login to my Internet Banking using my PC because my card details cannot be verified “Unable to verify your card details, please try another card, or alternatively visit your nearest branch or call our Contact Centre for help.” I tried three of my cards with ATM pins and none of them worked. The information was all correct because I double checked them on my Standard Bank App and had used all three cards with ATM pins when in S.A. during my holiday. Now I live and work overseas and I cannot go to my local branch. The international telephone number they give you to call is a joke. I was supposed to be next in the queue but twice now waited more than half-an-hour listening to **bleep** music after which I gave up. I wrote an email to [email protected] with the promise that they would get in contact with me within 24 hours. I am still waiting for a reply. Once I waited three months before I got an answer from ibsupport. They said the reason it took so long was that they were very busy. The customer service of Standard Bank in my opinion falls woefully short of any normal standard. I am no closer than before of finding a solution to my problem of not being able to login to my Internet Banking on my PC.

Ben13
Occasional Contributor
When I went to my local branch, they were not aware of it. Bizarre really. I got the same stock standard response from the It desk too.
Frankie62
New Contributor
Agreed. I was told IT have put in new security features. It is supposed to be once off to put in card and pin, but each time I login it asks for them, after password and OTP??
Frankie62
New Contributor
I have been through to Standard Bank and our banker 3 times today and twice yesterday, regarding this issue. As far as they are concerned I am the only person in the country with this issue. The IT dept have installed new security features and it is only supposed the ask for these details once. Well every time I login it asks for card and pin details !! Surely this compromises my security?? I have a number of accounts linked and am not happy at all. Now O have to go and change my pins at an ATM ?
Ben13
Occasional Contributor
Hi Fana. Can you let me know why this only applies to certain clients - and not all? No one else I know personally, who has a Standard Bank account, has to do this?
BigLou66
Occasional Contributor

This does not fill me with confidence if the employees of Standard Bank are not up-to-date. It does not matter if it is a small branch or not. This also leads me to how customers are informed about changes in Internet Banking especially about new security features. Firstly, bank employees had to be orientated about these additional security measures. Then we the customers needed to be informed ahead of time of new security features. There seems to be no clear cut information policy/strategy. It all seems rather slap dash to me because we are suddenly confronted with a new security measure with no additional information that could give clarity. We the customers are left with the responsibility of figuring it out, not sure if giving our card details and ATM pin is kosher for instance as User LS1953 put it "...what has been drummed into our heads over and over again: NEVER ENTER YOUR PIN/CARD PIN IF ASKED FOR IT ONLINE."

LS1953

Checked with the W. Cape Regional Manager and he said it was a legitimate exercise, but it's totally contradictory to what has been drummed into our heads over and over again:  NEVER ENTER YOUR PIN/CARD PIN IF ASKED FOR IT ONLINE.  

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

I imagine not many people at the small branches know about this, or know why this is so - certainly no one at our local branch was aware of it! 

FanaM1
Community Coordinator

Hello everyone.

We would like to have a look at yours.

Please send a screenshot to @STANDARDBANKZA on Twitter or @StandardBankSouthAfrica on Facebook.

Once received, we would be able to assist.

Regards,

Fana.

Standard Bank Team

dominiqueza
Occasional Contributor

I think these forums are just here to act as a chatroom my friend.

The bot response you'll get is "Visit or Call a branch".

Unfortunately it wont matter how much of an inconvenience is being caused. #semaarnet

BigLou66
Occasional Contributor

I still cannot login to my Internet Banking at all using my PC. I tried again this morning and gave my card number and ATM pin to verify my banking details and it says my details are incorrect. Yet last week while in S.A. I used the same card and the ATM pin and no problem. I am told either my card number is wrong or my ATM pin number. My card has now been blocked because I used the card three times and all three times I am told I entered the incorrect information. Now what? I am effectively locked out of my internet banking if I want to use my PC or Laptop. FanaM1 (Community Coordinator) any suggestions as to how to fix this?

dominiqueza
Occasional Contributor

It makes no sense to add this as a measure of 'security' when you already require OTPs, App scanning and god knows what else just tobe able to log in.

Overkill if you ask me, and extremely inconvenient for those of us who dont want to be locked out of our accounts every time our browser cookies are cleaned.

I'd strongly suggest somebody look and rethink this. Bad job...

Similo
I also had the same issue.

The problem I have now is I can't make payments online when paying saying Ozow, it says there is a notice that requires attention, must be read and accept on the standard bank site but when I login onto my profile, I don't see anything
Ben13
Occasional Contributor

And this will be for every different device you log in, as well as every time on your main device, if your browser is set to clear cookies and not remember site data.  What is the point of the one time pin sent to my phone?   And seemingly I am the only person in my small circle who use Standard Bank that this new login rule applies to???  While I applaud extra security, this isnt making Online Banking any easier!