Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Community

A one-stop forum for all your banking questions

Verify Banking Details on Online Banking

Odette99
New Contributor

@FanaM1- I'm living abroad and am currently experiencing this extremely frustating issue of having to revalidate using my card and pin number. Like many people in this thread I rely heavily on being able to access my account online.

I've been dialing the international support line +27 10 249 0423 - at great financial expense due to the extremely long wait times however it seems no one ever answers those phones - so I have given up. I've emailed [email protected] but they seem just as unable to get back to you - still awaiting a response!

So the key question - How should I go about getting the pin / card details reconfirmed? I use my account on a weekly basis - my inability to access my account is impacting livelyhoods - please let me know how this can be dealt with asap.

Many thanks, 

Odette
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-16 at 10.01.21.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-06-16 at 10.01.07.jpeg

Tebza98
New Contributor
Mike154
Occasional Visitor

I will rather LEAVE STANDARD BANK, before I risk supplying my card/pin infor over a WEB BROWSER which is VERY INSECURE

JaninePeck

I also have this experience and the reasoning I am receiving from the apparent Standard Bank consultant is the same 'wishy washy' vague answer. 

You need to justify why this feature has been implemented and how it is actually benefiting your customers before you start loosing them to other banks you are not asking for a users ATM pin number.  

AndreH1
New Contributor
You not the only one. I received the same request
AndreH1
New Contributor
I tried logging in via my PC. Using the QR Code and OTP it eventually stops at a screen requesting to enter my card number and PIN. This goes totally against the banks repeated requests to their clients not to enter pin numbers. Why is the bank requesting our pin number?
Bex1981
New Contributor

I have tried to log onto my internet account via the web portal - and entered my username, password and OTP sent to my personal phone and the there is a further request to give them a card number an pin to let me into my account whihc i have correctly loggined into and providede an OTP for. Honestly, this is not something a bank should ask one to do - we have all been taught to never enter card numbers and pins into any place including banks asking for it!

This is highly unacceotable and not well thought of by developers, this is really irriataing me - I called and was sent to the IT dept who then said theres nothing to be done they will put me through to transactions - and I went though to a long message on debt and collections and never got to speak to anyone. I JUST WANT A CSV DOWNLOAD OF MY STATEMENT THATS ALL!!!!!! 

BandardStank

I encountered the same issue this morning, putting in a correct card number and pin, which did not appease the Machine.

I then  logged in on another computer and no OTP or Card Verification was requested. This led me to believe my other computer was compromised

Needless to say I changed all my passwords as a precaution, because if the bannk tells you not to put your ATM pin online, logic dictates it must be someone else making this request.

RickAfonso
Occasional Visitor

The idea that typing in your card number and PIN is a security "FEATURE" is a 100% contradiction to the banks own advice to customers over the past two+ decades "NEVER ENTER YOUR PIN NUMBER ONLINE " - never mind that this supposed  feature was implemented out of the blue - with ZERO notification to anyone. It seems that knowledge of this feature has now spread and more people at branches etc now seem aware of it - but most people who encountered it early on and spoke to the bank / private bankers etc were met with blank looks / absolutely no idea what they were talking about. 

The fact that someone thought this was a good idea is mind boggling given the Bank's previous decades old stance on never entering your pin online if asked for it. To do so without informing customers first is even more ludicrous considering the implications of someone trying to pay something and this "security check"causing the payment transaction to fail resulting in major inconvenience / embarrasment.

Reading the other comments and seeing that this issue has already caused people enough inconvenience / embarrasment to end a decades old banking relationship it is mind boggling that there hasnt been some sort of official response yet.

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

I have already closed my two kids Standard Bank linked accounts, and will likely open up a kiddies account at either Capitec or FNB.  I will try to phone Prestige Banking (again) today and ask if this requirement can be rolled back, and if not, is it worth losing another account for them?  I cannot believe (although it is likely) that Standard Bank IT, can implement this requirement for selective accounts, and that no seems able to query or assist with this.  But I suspect that individual clients do not really matter to Standard Bank anymore - just one of millions.

Stonehead
New Contributor

I spoke to a consultant from the bank and was informed that they cannot change our profile by allowing us to make online purchases.  I just wonder if the IT section within Standard Bank implemented this card verification in complete ignorance or deliberately to prevent people from purchasing online.  In case the IT section does not understand the issue here, it works as follows: If one makes an online purchase, the other party must access your bank account to deduct the payment. They are however prevented from doing this as the bank requires a card number and pin and one receives an error message.  Seeing that we have a business account and we live on a farm far from cities, we rely on online purchases. A longstanding relationship with a bank must now come to an end because everybody's hands in Standard Bank are tied. All I can say is congratulations in being so narrow-minded.

fpereira

This was the only way I could get access. Standard Bank, whoemever thought that this was a good idea, without any communication to clients, and linking it to cards that no one has any access to, is just ludicrous. Whomever came up with the idea, and signed of the implementation needs to be fired. Disgruntled!

jefnofear

I logged in from the same pc and same browser that I always use and now it asks me for a otp then to verify my card details and pin. When i used internet banking on saturday 25/2 it was on the same pc and browser so now why are the asking me for my pin and card no, for which standard bank repeatedly warn you never to devuge.,so what was said by a consultant that i am using a different browser or pc is a lie. SStandard Bank is having more and more problems with their system and by reading the comments i am not the only unhappy customer. My wife struggled for 2 weeks to get a replacement credi card each time encountering a chip reading error at the issuing branch.And the problems allows occur when a payment has to be made and you end up looking like an idiot to a third party!Pity standard bankdo not experience these problems when debiting my account with excessive bank charges . has standard bank lost the ability toserve their customers I wonder?

dominiqueza
Occasional Contributor
I really wish I could tell you guys anything other than these people simply are not going to care.
This post and thread alone has been hidden from their community forums’ landing screen, not even showing up on ‘Latest Activity’ even though I’m replying to responses from 45mins ago.

It’s sad that this is one of the few ways to reach standard bank’s ears, yet it is manned by bots and/or personnel who simply don’t understand the impact of what we are saying when we are willing to end a banking relationship spanning decades.

peteandbevforb
I have read all the complaints above and can only conclude it’s time to change banks. I was overseas recently and needed to make a payment. I refused to enter the card & pin details as STD Bank had not informed us of the change and have always told us never to do so. I was embarrassed at not being able to pay. If this issue is not resolved this week my husband and I will cancel our investments and accounts of 40 years.
Stonehead
New Contributor

I tried to buy data through the CellC app for the business and was unable to do so after several attempts. When I logged in online, I realised that the card details verification screen prevented CellC from accessing my account. This will apply to any purchase that is made online. It is just ridiculous to expect one to capture such sensitive information. I feel very unsafe in doing this and if Standard Bank is not willing to change this it would leave us no choice than to change banks. Our business account has been with Standard Bank since 2009 and it will not be possible to continue doing business with Standard Bank under these circumstances as we are now being prevented from doing online business with other entities.

CVP

After so many posts on this forum with the same issue, there has not been any satisfactory response.

It is ludicrous to have to enter your PIN in an online environment.  How secure is this?

After over 10 years with 3 business banking acconts, it's time to move to a bank that knows what it's doing and knows how to communicate with its customers..

CaRangers
New Contributor

Fana, this is CARangers,

How difficult is to coordinate Standard Bank Operational Managers and IT securities to resolve this problem of detailed Card verification and Pin.

Put yourself in our shoes, being overseas and not having access to your Internet account.

It is a shortcut to chaos for Standard bank customers who are experiencing this problem.

Please attend to the problem as soon as possible.

It seems Standard bank rating on safety is well below FBN, may be you should look into that.

Thanks.

Red5
New Contributor

So after some fruitless emails to Standard Bank I have managed to solve the problem of failing the "Card Verification" page that appears after having logged in and entering a OTP.

Summary of  problem :

As described by others below, a Card Verificiation page appears, asking you to 'Verify your details'

You are asked to "Please enter the details of any card that is linked to your account"

You enter your bank card number and PIN of one of your current cards - you are sure that both the card number and PIN are correct

You get error message "Unable to verify card details.." and the solution is to visit a branch or call customer service.

Solution

The wording "Please enter the details of any card that is linked to your account" is misleading.

This does not necessarily refer to a card that you use now - it is the card linked to your account which was the card used when first set up internet banking.

Even if this card has expired, it is still the card linked to your account, unless you have actively gone into a branch and chnaged it.

New replacement cards are NOT the cards linked to the internet banking account in the context of this security request , they just happen to be the cards you are using. 

I entered the card number of the debit card I got in 2018 when I first set up internet banking, fortunately I knew the PIN of it, and that was the required card number/PIN combo to allow me to access internet banking.  

How I Got The Solution

Lets say that the debit card I used to create my internet banking profile in 2018 had the last four digits 1234.

I noticed that email notificiations of future dated payments are all titled "Future Dated Payment 1234" - even ones received today, and that got me searching for those last four digits in emails.

I found an earlier email to SB from 2021 in which I asked them to remove old cards from my internet banking profile - a cheque card and the expired debit card ending 1234 (they said that they couldn't !!) and to this day, 3 years later those expired cards are still listed in my internet banking. 

If you have the internet banking app then from the home page select from the bottom menu 'Manage' / then 'Cards' you can see, listed at the bottom,  the card list will include the expired card first used when you created your internet banking. Unless you have specifically changed the 'linked card', then this is the card linked to your account, for thre Card verificiation step, and not the current cards you are using.

Go figure. 

If you don't have the interet banking app to see your oldest card (listed at the bottom), or you don't know what the PIN number of that card was, then I'm afriad this solution won't work for you.

Ben13
Occasional Contributor

So I laid a general moan / complaint to my "Prestige" banker, who patched me through to Standard Bank Online Banking queries....again.  And this is the summary of my interaction with Online Support.

The requirement to login using my ATM Pin is NOT an across the board requirement, and not eveyone has to do it, and that the Standard Bank IT Department has (randomly ??) selected my account as one of which who do have to login using the ATM pin number for security reasons.  And no, Online Support cannot answer why my account was selected and no, they cannot remove this requirement.  Additionally the Online Support say there is nothing they can do about this at all - as this is the doing of their "IT Department".  Their best suggestion is to decrease the security features on my Firefox Browser, and allow cookies to be retained, and thus save myself the issue of having to add my Pin everytime. 

So decrease my browser security so that Standard Bank can verify my ATM Pin online....hmmm makse sense (irony here)!